Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Who sets the bar for music these days?

I have been driving tractor this week and been listening to a lot of radio. We have a station in town that plays a lot of top 40 pop rock (95.3) and decided I would listen to it for a while to see if there was anything new that's any good.

Where do I begin?

The Killers - When you were young.
I admit that I loved the killers first CD hot fuss. I was really curious to see if there next CD was going to be as good. I seriously almost laughed out loud when I heard this new song. What key is he singing in anyway? I can't believe nobody in production picked up on this and tried to fix it. Or maybe they did. Either way, Brandon Flowers can't sing his way out of a paper bag. Someone actually told me that his singing is the new style. So singing in 12 different keys is the new style? Rob Thomas must be pumped.

The Fray - How to save a life
Dishwalla called, they want there songs back. Seriously, Matchbox 20 thinks you guys suck. You save a life by giving up music. There is already a band out there that has piano and guitar and good music, they're called Coldplay. We don't need cheap imitations. Also, what's with that guys voice? Or voices, really, since he tries to do so many vocal styles in all his melodies that he's trying to be a male Whitney Houston.

Fall Out Boy - This ain't a scene (it's an arms race)
I will pay anyone $20 bucks if they could understand every lyric in the chorus the first time they heard it. There's no way. I've heard this song 6 times now and I seriously have no idea what they say. Same with Sugar (we're going down) and Dance, Dance. There tunes are catchy no doubt, but can you really sing along with grunts and mumbles?

Snow Patrol - Any song
Snow patrol sucks. No seriously, they are boring and they suck. I'm trying to figure out why so many people like them. A friend of mine who shall remain . . .Dayton Dodge, convinced me to buy Final Straw because he said it was so good. However, it sounded like they stole songs from the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack and made them boring. They seem to me like top 40 filler. Do any of your friends have a snow patrol sticker on their car? Exactly.

I think I will just stick to XM.

(FYI, you can now post comments if you wish. You can disagree with any of the things I've said. If you do though, your wrong.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you are ripping Snow Patrol now when you said you liked them before. I still have a text message from you that says and I quote "I ituned the new snow patrol and yer right...it's good (referring to Eyes Open)". So maybe you want to decide which side of your mouth you want to talk out of before you blog on yourself. I speak with such candor because I too have nothin' but love for ya. I mean we've been friends for over 10 years and let's face it; we both used to like Hootie and the Blowfish.
Peace

Unknown said...

sooooo the real question is...do you like ANYTHING?!?!!? ITs a pretty sad day when a group get jazzed because one of their songs sounds like similar kind of sound to another group...honestly man we'd have like 10 groups to choose from then! What group hasn't stolen their sound from a couple influences. ;-)

Anonymous said...

what do you mean "used to like Hootie....?" Hootie rocks!

Ben and Alli said...

Ha ha ha! Man I miss you and your rants. And yes, the Killers new album does suck. He sounds more like a whale searching for a lover in a giant sea than a singer. But I do have to say that the guitar riffs are good. Too bad his voice completely ruins all of the songs. And if singing off key is a new style of singing, shoot me now! This is just a way for no-talent-ass-clowns to say that they can sing when in fact they can't. He and the producer who let this filth through should be shot!

But bagging on the Patrol? I know that their new songs sound relatively the same as the old ones, but is it really that bad. The only bad snow patrol is the new mix with sting. They are two songs! Keep them apart! No Cross Breeding is Allowed that spawns crappy music!

Ben