Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The List


I've been trying to read more, and after the reviews of M. Night's The Happening who could blame me right? So I started asking my friends "What should be on my top ten list of books to read before I die?" The response was awesome. My friends are not only cool but literate as well. I got everything from science fiction to slavery memoirs. Is this a pretty good list? What's missing? Are their any you have read that you can further recommend?

I have to give a shout-out to Seth for suggesting "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. I forgot to add that to the list.

4 comments:

said...

Hi there...I stumbled upon your blog by clicking "next blog" at the top...and wanted to suggest Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy.

Ben and Alli said...

Beowulf (The Seamus Heaney edition) to give you some ancient verse filled with action, The Zero Game by Brad Meltzer for some political thriller/mystery, Battle Royale by Koushun Takami that gives a twisted view of teens, violence, death, and trust, and finally If Chins Could Kill (Confessions of a B Movie Actor) by Bruce Campbell. That should keep you busy for a while.

Make Love: The Bruce Campbell Way is also a winner as well.

timidvenus said...

catcher in the rye is what it should read.

also, breakfast of champions is pretty good, i read it at least once a year

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away on this. I would have had a couple more must reads besides the Space Trilogy (which is very good). Higher than that however, I would strongly recommend "Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger. This book is absolutely phenomenal and I'm telling everyone I know about it. You will not be disappointed. I would also add "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis to the mix as well if you haven't read it already. I read that book once every couple of years and get something new out of it every time. The list could go on but you have quite a stockpile going already so I'll leave it at that. Ok...one more. "Byzantium" by Steven Lawhead. Amazing historical fiction. Also, strongly agree with the "To Kill a Mockingbird" recommendation. I can't believe you got through school without reading that to be honest. Absolutely classic.