Saturday, November 3, 2007

Do you know where Sadie Hawkins originated?

This is from a question to yahoo answers.

What is a Sadie Hawkins Dance?
I am always hearing of a "Sadie Hawkins Dance", can someone tell me what this is? Thanks!!

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
A Sadie Hawkins Dance is a school dance in which the girls ask out the boys...

In the United States, the Sadie Hawkins dance (also known as a snow ball, Morp, snowball, vice-versa, turnabout, TWIRP, or a Tolo)[citation needed] is a school dance, usually occurring in high schools, in which female students invite male students. This is in opposition of normal school dance traditions, such as prom, where male students invite female students. Traditionally, the Sadie Hawkins dance occurs during the autumn in November, or in some places January or February. The Sadie Hawkins dance is one of three dances that many high schools hold, the other two dances being prom and homecoming. Some schools simply hold regular dances in which certain songs are "snowball" or "Sadie Hawkins" songs in which girls choose whom to dance with.

The Sadie Hawkins dance is named after the Li'l Abner comic strip character Sadie Hawkins. November 15 was Sadie Hawkins day, when the unmarried women of Dogpatch got to chase the bachelors and marry the ones they caught. In America this caught on quickly and evolved into a dance where the women got to invite a man of their choice.

Usually, female and male partners choose to wear the same or extremely similar clothes in order to match. At a Sadie Hawkins dance, couples are easily distinguishable because of their matching clothes.

Source(s):
Wikipedia

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Four words...You need a hobby. (One beside looking up obscure information ) What's the matter Phil? You didn't know about this? Don't tell me you never got asked to Sadie's.

Ben

Phil said...

First of all, shut up. Second of all, you think heroes is better than lost so pretty much all credibility is gone. Third, plenty of girls have asked me to sadie hawkins and I have accepted. Did you know where the name sadie hawkins came from was the question. I hate you and wish you only had britney spears records to listen to on a deserted island.

Have a great day

Anonymous said...

I will answer your question with another question. Who gives a flying rats @$$? I haven't even thought about Sadie Hawkins since...let's see...oh yeah HIGH SCHOOL!!! This is a waste of space on your blog and is taking up room that could be used for something semi-intelligent if a little mis-guided at times as your entries are prone to be.

Phil said...

Agreed, not the most interesting post. However, if nobody asked you to sadie hawkins, there no need to be nasty towards me. It's girls ask guys. If the girls made the choice not to ask you, it's not my fault. Oh, and, I hate you. In the good way of course. . .

Anonymous said...

Interesting how you assume that I never got asked to Sadie Hawkins when if fact I was the P-I-M-P in high school, was on Student Council and helped organize a Sadie Hawkins dance and had girls beating down my door to ask me to said event. My point had nothing to do with bitterness. I'm merely expressing that if I was 17 I would care much more about your blogpost on the subject but since high school was long ago maybe there's something more interesting you could waste my time with. So there...