Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A real new year's resolution

Happy new year everyone. It's been a crazy few weeks between Christmas and New Years yet we all managed to survive. I hope your 2008 got off to an amazing start.

I know it's cliche to have new years resolutions (however, I don't know anyone who does them anymore). However, I've decided to have a real new years resolution. I'm going to try to be less inappropriate this year (and years to come). No, seriously, I am. Here's why.

If you know me at all, you know that I like to make jokes about heavy drinking or drinking in inappropriate places. To me, it's been funny to imagine someone getting loaded in Sunday school or doing shots at a Mormon temple. I don't think it's right mind you, I'm just entertained by the thought. Anyhow, through a series of situations my joking about drinking has not been well received. I took this as Jesus telling me to knock it off.

Message received.

I was really convicted to be more of a stand up guy and not always go for the cheap, low brow humor I so richly indulge in. So, I want to be less inappropriate. I am trying not to mention any drinking jokes in public, I'm trying think before I open my mouth, and encourage those who, if I would have just shut my mouth, could have shared something with me that was meaningful.

Can I get an amen?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an admirable goal my friend. It's only taken you 11 and a half years to get to this point so good for you. :) Seriously though I give you a hearty amen and kudos on your resolution. I think fatherhood changes lots of things or at least points out the need for change. And then there are things that you just don't know what to do with like, for example, the fact that my son is licking his own arm right now and trying to fit both his hands in his mouth. Awesome. Love you bro.

lorieloo said...

good luck with the open-mouth-insert-foot disease. I have the same condition...I don't understand how they could have a pill for restless leg syndrome (please) but not for verbal diarrhea.

Happy News my friend.

bandofbrothers said...

ok, dying laughing about Lorie's comment. Phil, I think you can still indulge in some bottom-of-the-barrel humor, otherwise you will not be you. However, you should probably limit the drinking jokes to inside your head, especially at RBC. BTW, the pastor Jason(i think that was his name) there is really nice. He offered to help me find my keys when I lost them at MOPS. Do you still go there?

Phil said...

Still attend RBC. Jason is awesome, although it's very unlike you to lose your keys . . .right?

Unknown said...

can't imagine phil without this kind of humor...frickin growing up ruins EVERYTHING! ;-) Kudos though...I hope God continues to work on you!

bandofbrothers said...

John laughed when I told him about your resolution. He said--He's not gonna be able to do that..unless he changes his name too, cuz then he wouldn't be Phil.