Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A TobyMac song I like

It's no secret that TobyMac has tried for years to destroy music. No one denies he's got a massive amount of talent, but he seems to take every style his come across and try to jam it in a song. Most all his songs are crap and I like to make fun of them. Here is what a TobyMac song is like: It starts out kind of cool, you get sort of invested in it, you think "oh #$*!", this may be a cool song", then he takes a giant dump on it and, once again, you feel like he hates music and everything good it stands for.

So, I hear a new song called "I'm for you". I thought it was kind of cool, got invested in it, got to the "oh #$*!" part of the cycle, but then it kept being cool. I couldn't believe it didn't let me down. The song has a great beat, he dials back the limp bizkit garbage, and the song has a great message. Now, in the grand scheme of music, the song is like a 5 out of 10. For a TobyMac song, I give it a strong 8. In fact, I bought the song on Itunes.

Making fun of Toby is easy. It's almost easier than making fun of fat and ugly people at the fair. But for the first time in my life, I'm sticking up for him. I think he made a great record. Hats off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHBOOOUUUYYYYYYY!!!!!
D-d-down with the DC Talk. D-d-down with the DC Talk. Thinkin' of a way to explain-o. 'Cuz you knowin' I'm flowin' like a bottle of Draino.

Phil, how could you rip on a guy who wrote such fantastic rhymes? I think your cynicism has gone too far this time sir. I mean, I think you are really missing the versatility here. Toby or "T-Mac" as I like to call him is a mad genius. He can go from sounding like Fred Durst to Snoop Dogg to Ludicrous to Eminem in a three song span. I mean there's really only one other artist that comes to mind and that's Weird Al Yankovic. Talent personified knaw'llsay? But seriously, I'm so glad you posted this. It's been far too long since we've had another Phil-rant about bad music and the icing on the cake is that you actually turned this one into a positive. So good for you. Let me leave you with these immortal lines that will endure in hallowed halls of lore and legend and brilliant song lyrics: "TobyMac...and the Mac is back no slack, on a DC track that's jacked beyond comprehension, I believe that I failed to mention that, there's a lack of recognition, when it comes to his position, but if Christ can't be crossed over, then I'll kick my beat up nova" (What does that even mean?) Actually, I lied. I remembered an even better one. "We livin' we livin' we livin' in extreme days"
I'm out...