Monday, March 24, 2008

Top Ten Essential Favorite Films

Most of you know that I love movies. I know that I care about film and aspects of how they get made more than most. So, I thought it would be fun to show the more relatable side by posting my 10 favorite films (in no particular order).

1)Dead Poets Society - I remember how moved I was the first time I saw the kids stand on desks. Oh Captain my Captain!

2)The Game - I've probably watched this film 40 times in my life and I still find it mesmerizing!

3)Tron - I remember as a kid wanting a light cycle.

4)The Black Hole - The USS signus is still larger than life. I still watch this and tron back to back every year.

5)Goonies - My sense of adventure was teased when I saw this (in 6th grade).

6)Back to the Future - I still want a Delorean, and a Volterra skateboard.

7)My Blue Heaven - To me, one of the funniest movies that stands the test of time.

8)Raiders of the Lost Ark - If Goonies teased my sense of adventure, Raiders helped cultivate it more.

9)Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Don't worry, Wrath of Khan was on the list but I always go back to this movie. The idea of exploring the truly unknown is so awesome, plus the Enterprise is my favorite ship of all time.

10)Star Wars - There was a time when "Star Wars" meant episode IV, you remember, right? When Han shot Greedo first, and you watched this taped movie at least once a week on VHS, because that's all you had. Ah, the good old days. . .

(As an added bonus, I got Jenny to play the game too. Here's her list.

1)Amelie
2)The Sound of Music
3)The Game
4)All the Bourne Movies
5)Almost Famous
6)Sneakers
7)Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
8)Rushmore
9)Mary Poppins
10)Cinderella

6 comments:

Lisa said...

hey phil...good to see you and your fam on the web! I'll have to share the info with kevin. our site is:
http://adventuresinalveyland.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love your top ten of all time. It's good to see someone else who isn't ashamed of liking science fiction especially as a kid. Everybody used to like Star Trek back when it was good. So, you have inspired me to name my top ten favorite films of all time in like fashion (and not exactly in order). All my top ten are there because these are movies that I never get tired of and they have stood the test of time for me.

1) Hoosiers - I still watch this movie at least once a year and have since I was a kid. Gene Hackman is engaging and brilliant. I think my added connection with the film is that that was the era that my dad played basketball in when he was in highschool.

2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Movie - I think I was 11 when this film came out and it was like a dream come true to see my favorite cartoon and comic book series come to life on the big screen. Another movie that I still watch.

3) That Thing You Do - I never get tired of this movie and the dream of getting "discovered" and making it big was always very inspiring as a musician in a band.

4) Batman - I wasn't allowed to see this movie until a couple years after it came out so it was pretty impacting by the time I actually got to watch it and I still enjoy it the most of all the Batman films.

5) Raiders of the Lost Ark - I too was inspired by this film as a kid. I always wanted to play Indiana Jones. The hat, the whip, the gun, the adventure, what's not to love?

6) The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - I know this is cheating but I can't choose just one. My favorite books made into film in an amazing, awe inspiring and meticulous fashion.

7) Waiting For Guffman - one of the funniest movies I have ever seen and also the way I fell in love with the mock-umentary.

8) Rocky - I recently watched this movie again and remembered what I loved about it as a kid and also some new things that I appreciated as an adult. I tear up every time when he runs up the steps. Can't help it.

9) Star Wars - (episode IV) once again I wasn't allowed to see these movies until 10 years after they came out but the original of originals is still a classic and was very influential in my childhood.

10) Pride and Prejudice - (most recent version with Keira Knightley) Another favorite book made into film. One of the best conversions to screen without making the movie four hours long. The BBC version is more accurate but this film is more artistically done.

Phil said...

I forgot about TMNT. I remember watching that movie a lot when it came out on VHS.

I forgot about batman. This too was another movie I loved and got to see in the theater. The others that made the fringe were:

Shawshank Redemption
Ghostbusters
Zoolander
Sneakers

By this point though, 25 movies become your most favorite ever. I thought 10 was good because you really had to decide and narrow down the top. I love your list. Good times!

We should start a thread on facebook and see where others stand.

Unknown said...

Wow...your top two were great you started losing me further down the list though. I think I liked daytons list more than yours...a little shocked by the P&P at #10, he never would have admitted to that back in college!! haha

Phil said...

Pony up Trevor, let's see your top ten essential favorite films, I bet we all have at least one in common.

Anonymous said...

Trevor, have you actually seen that film? Pride and Prejudice wasn't in my top ten in college because I hadn't read the book yet and the movie hadn't come out yet. I knew someone was going to be a smartass about that. Give us your top ten and then we can rip on you...Mon. It's not alright mon. :-)