Thursday, February 7, 2008

Sesame Street and Two Lane Blacktop

I was reflecting last night about how much my life has changed in the past two years. I'm not only a husband but a father so I have been forced to mature in all the good ways.

Specifically I was thinking about my tastes in TV and Film. Since I have the same amount of time, just choose to spend it wiser, I don't watch as many movies or TV shows as I used to. Ten years ago I had 5 shows a week, movies on the weekend and most of what I watched was good but never really amazing. Now, I'm really only committed to one show (Lost) and I get to go out and see a movie once a month if I'm lucky. Here's the thing, when I get to watch something, I really enjoy it.

Last night after dinner, Ryan and I sat on his beanbag and watched Sesame Street together. He loves it and I love watching it with him. When Elmo comes on he is glued to that tube. It's amazing what that show attempts to teach kids and expose them too. Everything from sharing to jumping, it's skills that I want Ryan to be exposed to.

Then, about a week ago, Jenny and I start to watch Two Lane Blackop. It's suppose to be the best road trip movie ever made. So far, it's really good (Jenny bowed out because nobody ever says anything in the movie. Gotta finish it solo).

Whether on recommendation or reading reviews, I have seen some really amazing films over the past five years (La Haine, Double life of Veronique, No Country for old Men). It's about quality versus quantity. Good quality with my son and with my wife. To go from ER and Armageddon to Sesame Street and Two Lane Blacktop, it can only get better.

No comments: